Little Melba and Her Big Trombone by Katheryn Russell-Brown

 

Melba Doretta Liston loved the sounds of music from as far back as she could remember. As a child, she daydreamed about beats and lyrics, and hummed along with the music from her family's Majestic radio. At age seven, Melba fell in love with a big, shiny trombone, and soon taught herself to play the instrument. By the time she was a teenager, Melba's gift for music led her to the world of jazz. Little Melba and Her Big Trombone by Katheryn Russell-Brown illustrated by Frank Morrison was published in April 2014. This book has won Coretta Scott King Book Award for Illustrator Honor in 2015, NCTE Orbis Pictus Award Nominee in 2015, NAACP Image Award Nominee for Children in 2015. 


I love finding picture books that are biographies. I feel like it's so important to show kids at a young age of all that books can offer. Non-fiction and biographies I feel like are just as important as fiction books. This is a book about a little girl named Melba who became a famous part of the jazz scene. Before I read this book I actually knew nothing about this person and never even heard of her name. I am so glad that I found this so that I could learn something as well. The illustrations in this book are amazing and colorful. I love seeing the girl holding a huge trombone in the pictures. Plus, I feel like kids can see more with pictures when they are young. The text was long for a preschooler but young elementary could handle all the text if someone read it to them. Cassie wasn't as thrilled of the book but Mason really enjoyed it. I recommend you check out this book. 

Melba Litton actual pictures









Comments

Popular Posts