50 States of Reading: New Mexico

 


Our next state that we "traveled" to is New Mexico. This such a diverse state that my kids get to see different cultures in the literature. 


New Mexico by Therese De Angelis was published in December 2005. This book was difficult to read but has an interesting topic about the history and culture in the state. It felt like I was reading a history book and the kids were really bored throughout the book. The photos through out the book are really neat and show what people are like and how they live in New Mexico. 


New Mexico (It's My State) by Ruth Bjorklund published in September 2013. I enjoyed reading this book but I felt like it was over my kids heads. They really liked looking at the photos in this book. But I felt like this book was a little too much on the text through out the book for my kids attention to last. I felt like they were bored throughout the book. This book is most likely good for upper elementary to middle school kids. 


New Mexico (A True Book: My United States) by Michael Burgan was published in September 2018. My kids really enjoyed this book. It has a lot of facts but the graphics throughout the book helped them understand what is going on. It went really well throughout the book. The kids learned a lot of things from the government of New Mexico to the culture. It even talked about big things that happened in the state. 

The activities that we did was colored our map of the United States for the state. Then we also colored the flag of the state. Click the Link for download

Have you ever been to New Mexico? Tell us about it. 




















Comments

Popular Posts