5 Myths of Reading Aloud

 I have been reading books to help me become the best reader and to teach my kids how to read. I am not a homeschooling mom but reading has always been something that I wanted my kids to find love in. Ever since they were born. Reading for me has always been a way that I could escape the world around me when things were falling apart. Such as I was ten years old and was diagnosed with arthritis in my whole body. I used to read to escape the pain and knowing that no one can understand my pain I was feeling. Then when my parents divorced I found the Harry Potter series. I clung to the series and even now as an adult I still love the series. So much my oldest daughter was named after a character.  If I as a mom can help my kids get that from a book then I am doing my job as a mom. Whether its from someone reading the book to them, from audiobooks, or reading a book on their own. I want them to see how they can use the books for enjoyment. So I am hoping that on the weekends each week to share some tips and some things that I have learned over the years. 

5 Myths of Reading Aloud 

1. You have to do it all. This is so false, you don't need to do it a lot at all. Just do it. Just read to them when you can and not push yourself like crazy to get it in every single day. Heck, somedays even in my house we don't get to because things have come up. Or my kids are just so hyped up there is no way that they will be quiet enough long enough. 

2. Reading time only counts when they read themselves. This is something that bothers me the most. That most parents won't count their kids reading minutes if it is someone else reading to their child. Yes, kids should read by themselves but sometimes they learn better by listening to others reading to them. They learn fluency and even vocabulary when people read to them. Even audiobooks should be counted. They are taking in literature in no matter what. Encourage it. 

3. Kids need to read books on their level or slight above their level. What this means is books that are super easy for your children don't count. They do count. I love when my nine year old reads books to her siblings. I count it because she is reading and I don't care if it's a simple text she reading and that is what counts. 

4. Kids need to be sitting still and listening as you read. For me this is one of the hardest things I had to overcome. I wanted my kids to sit and listen to what I am reading and have their absolute attention. Just like they do when they are at school. Let me get this straight, kids are not meant to sit still for a long period of time. I will post at another time some ideas for age groups to keep their little hands occupied while you read at a later date. But let them do a quiet activity while you read. 

5. It has to be perfect and the be the way you think it needs to go. Nah, this is false. If it is working for your family then let it be. Then you are doing something right, it doesn't have to look a certain way to be successful. It just needs to be successful. 


Comments

Popular Posts