How to Catch a Dragon by Adam Wallace

 


I love starting new traditions with my kids and I decided this year to start celebrating the Chinese New Year. So I decided to find a book to read to my kids that had Chinese New Year in it. In this book, the book is set in China during the Spring Festival. The wily dragon will have to avoid trap after trap as the kids run through paper lanterns, red envelopes, fireworks, and more. How to Catch a Dragon by Adam Wallace illustrated by Andy Elkerton was published in November 2019. This book is apart of How to Catch series. 

The illustrations in this book are colorful and really use the colors that is common during the Chinese New Year. My kids had a lot of fun trying to find the dragon on every page. They loved how colorful the book was and loved listening to me read the books. This book is similar to others in the series that we have read in the past. I really enjoyed reading this aloud to my kids and this book is an easy read for the reader no matter the age. This book you have to check out for sure. 


Once we read this book, we found some videos on youtube of Chinese New Year dragons. My kids loved them and could not get enough of watching the videos. We then had a craft of making out own dragon puppets to dance around the house. We then enjoyed a meal of homemade Chinese food. We even had homemade Chinese almond cookies. The kids had a blast and loved spending time with the family. I also had their names written in Chinese and what year they were born in. Ginny was born in the year of the Rabbit, Miles in the year of the Snake, Mason the year of the Goat, and Cassie the year of the Dog. It's the little things to make the kids have fun and learn about the world around them. 





Comments

Popular Posts