Book Review: New Year's Day by Mari C. Schuh



I love teaching my kids about holidays. This book is a simple text and photographs that describe the history of New Year's and all the ways that it is celebrated. New Year's Day by Mari C. Schuh was published in September 2002. 

I love that this book is non-fiction and that it shows all the parts of a non-fiction book. It has headings, photographs, and sub headings throughout. This book also has very colorful photographs that even my two year old was able to stay engaged in the book. The text was not boring and it explained things in the simple terms. I loved that it has the history but also has different ways people celebrate the New Years. 


One of the activities we did was simple. Instead of making a huge mess by throwing confetti into the air I took black paper and used a pencil to write the year which was 2021. Then the kids traced the year with white glue. We then sprinkled the confetti on top of the glue. We then had the kids tip it up and let the excess confetti fall. This is the end result of the picture. The kids loved it. I did each kid one at a time that way the confetti didn't end up everywhere because they threw it. This way I was able to control somewhat the mess. 


Check out other New Year's books here. 

Check out all the 2021 holidays with dates here. 


 

Comments

Popular Posts