Book Review: The Recess Queen by Alexis O'Neill


This year, I decided that I wanted to read some stories about anti-bullying and also how to be unique. So "The Recess Queen" by Alexis O'Neill fit the bill to a T. This book was published in 2002. Jean was the Recess Queen and nobody said any different. She didn't allow anyone do anything until she did it first. That was until a new student arrived and didn't know her rules on the playground. Jean learns that she was indeed not in charge of the playground.

I have two kiddos who are in school all day and I wanted to give them some good advice before they started school. For several years my daughter has been bullied at school by a couple of boys and I wanted her to feel empowered. I wanted my kids to grow through books and also for books to spark a conversation between us about how I expect them to be at school. This book was perfect, it helped us talk about what bullying was and how we can stand up against those who are bullying. But also helped me to tell my children that bullying others was not what I wanted them to do either. The illustrations helped to get the book across and I love how entertaining the book was. It helped my kids to really understand the meaning of the book.

Check out other books on our Summer 2019.

Check out Cassie's 1000 books before Kindergarten.


Comments

Popular Posts