Book Review: When Sophie's Feelings Are Really, Really Hurt by Molly Bang


My god-daughter nickname is Sophie and my kids talk to her about once a week on the phone. We also have kids who get hurt feelings and have trouble being able to express their hurt feelings. So when I found a book about a girl named Sophie who also struggles with being hurt I had to grab it for my kids.

"When Sophie's Feelings are Really, Really Hurt" by Molly Bang was published in 2015, and a Charlotte Zolotow Award Nominee for Highly Commended Title in 2016. In this book Sophie is hurt when children's laugh at her and tell her she is wrong. She experienced her face getting hot and tears falling down. She learns how to calm herself down and who she is.

I really enjoyed reading this book to my kids because it brought up what they can do when they like Sophie get their feelings hurt. It helped me have that conversation with them. We talked about what it feels like when they do have their feelings hurt as it feels differently for each child and person. We then used the book to help them realize there are safe things that they can do to help them. I really enjoyed this book. I did think that the illustrations could be more.

Check out other books on Mason's 1000 books before Kindergarten here.


Comments

Popular Posts