Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems

 



You will come to realize that we read lots of books by Mo Willems. He is one of my kids favorite authors and has been for quite awhile. His books are so fun and easy to read that even a kindergartener can read them. They also make you laugh so much that even my ten year old loves them. In this book, a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place...a pigeon. He pleads, wheedles, and begs his way through the book, children will love being able to answer back and decide his fate. Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems was published in April 2003. This book has been a Caldecott Medal Nominee (2004), Kentucky Bluegrass Award for K-2 (2005), Charlotte Zolotow Award Nominee (2004), Vermont's Picture Book Awards: Red Clover (2005), South Carolina Award for Picture Book Award (2006), Flicker Tale Children's Book Award (2005), Buckaroo Book Award (2004), Indies Choice Book Award for Picture Book Hall of Fame (2009), and CLEL Silver Bell Award Nominee for Talk (2013). 

I love the simple illustrations in Mo Willems books. This book is just like his other books in that aspect. My kids absolutely love this book and they love how interactive it is. While I read the Pigeon's text, my kids will be yelling the answers back to the Pigeon. This book is so unlike other books out there in how interactive it is. It's a cute book. Like I said in the intro the text is so simple that a kid who is just learning how to read can read it. But it's so funny that my ten year old still enjoys reading this book. I love how easy it is to read-aloud and how it gets all four of my kids involved in this book. I can't recommend this book enough. 




Comments

Popular Posts