Book Review: The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka


Jon Scieszka was born in Flint, Michigan and he is the second-oldest of six boys. Jon thought about being a doctor and studied both Science and English at Albion College. He then went to earn his MFA in Fiction from Columbia University. Jon met Lane Smith through his wife and together they created A. Wolf's Tale. The two kept getting rejected because it was too dark and too sophisticated. Finally Regina Hayes an editor at Viking Books said she thought the story and the illustrations were funny. They changed the title to: The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs. It has sold over 3 million copies and has been translated into 14 different languages. Over the last 19 years, Jon and Lane have worked together on 8 picture books and 8 Time Warps. Jon's books have won a ton of awards and have sold over 11 million copies all around the world. Jon lives in Brooklyn with his wife and two children.

You thought you knew the story of the "The Three Little Pigs." But you were wrong. In this funny and clever fracture fairy tale picture book that twists point of view and perspective, young readers will finally hear the other side of the story of "The Three Little Pigs". This book has won Maryland Black-Eyed Susan Book Award for Picture Book in 1992.

So when I was in elementary school all those years ago I was introduced to this book. I fell in love with then. I am sure it was apart of a lesson about point of view. So, fast forward, my son Miles comes home from school and said at a gate into our kitchen, "Let me in, let me in." So I naturally responded, "Not by the hair on my chiny chin chin." So, he laughed and then retold me the whole story of the Three Little Pigs. We then were looking at the FAMOUS BOOK ORDER that comes with kids in schools once a month. What to my surprise was this book was there for a dollar. So I had to buy it so I could share my joy for this book with my three kids.

My kids loved this book and how funny it is. They loved learning about the the wolf side of the story. They giggled when the wolf said he found the pig "Dead as a door nail." The pictures are amazing with this book and you have to read it many times to take in the fact of all the different things in the illustrations that Lane Smith created. I love the text of this book because it helped me teach my kids that sometimes people use words to describe things. This book is witty and so much fun and it helps telling the story of the wolf. I recommend this book ten times over.



Click Here For More Children's Fiction


Comments

Popular Posts