Book Review: Cinderella and the Furry Slippers by Davide Cali


Davide Cali began his career in 1994 as a cartoon writer for the Italian magazine Linus. He began writing children's book in 2000, and since then has published twenty books for children. The first four of which he illustrated himself. His book Piano Piano recieved a 2006 Bologna Ragazzi Special Award and the Switzerland Enfantaisies Prize. He is also a coauthor of I Can't Wait, winner of the 2005 Baobob Prize. He has also recieved the Belgium Libbylit Award, and France's SNCF award. His books have been published in France, Italy, and Austria, and translations of his book have published in eighteen countries.

Cinderella and the Furry Slippers is a modern version of the traditional tale of Cinderella. This poor girl, with the bad stepmother and the horrible sisters, dreams with the prince she sees in the magazines. When a ball is announced, she makes a call for a godmother and asks her for a dress as she has seen in a fashion magazine. From then on nothing in the book is as we expect.

I was provided with an ARC of this book by Netgallery and the publisher, so I can give an honest review. I will be really honest I had a lot of hopes for this book when I read the title. The sad part was I really did not like this story. It was slow and just way out there. My kids loved the pictures but didn't enjoy the story as well. They thought it was too out there I am sure. I don't recommend reading this book unless you like stories that are out there.


Check out more Children Fiction Book Reviews

Comments

Popular Posts