I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas by John Rox


I love the Christmas carol of I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas since I was a little girl. So when I found a book that is based off of that song. I knew for a fact that I had to check it out and read it to my kids. "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas," by John Rox and illustrated by Bruce Whatley is about Christmas coming and a little girl who wants nothing more then a real live hippopotamus. Will Santa and her parents make her Christmas wish come true.

I loved this book with it's beautiful colorful illustrations by Bruce Whatley. The illustrations make the book and be able to picture what it would look like to have a hippo for a present. I love how the author kept the original song as it's text it's so perfect. I really enjoyed this book as did my kiddos. It's a perfect book for Christmas.

So you can take this book as different ways. I recommend teaching your kids the song. I love hearing my three older kids trying to sing this song all the time. You can create a hippo craft with your kids. The last is have them write a story with you of an animal that they wish Santa would bring. Then let them illustrate the book.

Check out other books on Mason's Book List.


Comments

Popular Posts