I Survived the Shark Attacks of 1916 (I Survived #2) by Lauren Tarshis

 


Based on true events! It's the summer of 1916 and the Jersey shore is being terrorized by a Great White shark. Can 10 year old Chet and his friends survive a swim in the local creek? Chest Roscow is finally feeling at home in Elm Hills, New Jersey. He has a job with his uncle Jerry at the local diner, three great friends, and the perfect summertime destination: cool, refreshing Matawan Creek. But Chet's summer is interrupted by shocking news. A great white shark has been attacking swimming along the Jersey shore, not far from Elm Hills. I Survived the Shark Attacks of 1916 by Lauren Tarshis was published in September 2010. This second book in the I Survived series. 

This book is a historical fiction book. So the characters are fiction but the book is based on true things that actually did happen. I have heard of sharks coming up the water system a time or two in my life so this story for me was already not so far stretch. I had the pleasure of reading this book with Mason (8 years old) this summer. We are actually working on the I Survived series and the Magic Treehouse series for bed time reading. Anyways, Mason and I really enjoyed the character of Chet. He is a normal ten year old (Mason likes to say he acts like a know-it-all like his brother who is ten). Of course Chet just wants to fit somewhere. His parents are always moving and he feels like he can fit in Elm Hills with his Uncle. I felt like Chet fit a normal ten year old behaviors with everything. They just need a place to belong. We also enjoyed all the side characters that you get to meet. The plot of this story starts a little weird but most of the I Survived series shows you a piece in the middle of the action at the start of the book. But, the descriptions in this book are amazing. Mason said it was like he was there. There are a few vocabulary words in this book that Mason didn't know but it was quick to explain. Mason gives this book a thumbs up. 





Comments

Popular Posts